Friday, March 22, 2013

Under the Rainbow

Under the Rainbow, the title of my new body of work, opens at Whitespace Gallery, Atlanta, GA in two weeks! I've been working on this new body since last summer, when I made this self titled piece the first week of June 2012. This piece was partly inspired by vintage postcards of Niagra falls that I found at an antique shop. For many months I was thinking about using more black in my work and these post card images spoke to me. I also found inspiration in the illustrations of Kay Nielsen and his use of black. In the last 10 months I've made 16 new paintings which will exhibit for the first time on April 5th at Whitespace Gallery, Atlanta, GA. Here is a sneak peak of some paintings. The first two are titled "Trophy 1+2" and the second is a detail shot of "Praying Mantis". These last few weeks I've been tinkering with wall hangings for the installation and here is an up close detail of one of the anthropomorphized veils that I have been creating. Photographer Karley Sullivan gave me some teeth that she cast and one of the pieces ended up in this sculpture. I've yet to come up with a name for it. I think it looks creepy but edible in a skittles kind of way. If you are in Atlanta anytime between April 5 - May 11, stop by the gallery to see the show. Or if you are from out of state and are interested in my work, you can contact me through Facebook or cloudanimal@gmail.com. I'll be posting the entire show online once it is documented mid April.

1 comment: